Thursday 6 June 2013

Khasta Kachori!

I am OBSESSED with Chaat…I can have chaat as 3 meals a day for the rest of my life. And I know there are many of you out there just like me. I can finish shopping for my cloths under 30 mins but choosing a chaat from the menu takes me forever. I like every single items on their menu and its a torture to take a pick.

KHASTA KACHORI is a Rajasthan street food that are deep fried dough with a spicy lentil filling. There are lot of fillings that can go into them; coconut, sweet fillings, potato etc etc. Whenever I visit my mom’s home, my dad buys me these amazing kachoris from an “Unknown” vendor & I make sure I take down every single one of them. Whether am eating plain or dressed in dhai & chutneys, BEWARE don’t even try to take a bite from my kachoris you really don’t wanna mess with me ;) ;P !!!

Makes 10 - 15

Kachori

You Will Need:

1 1/2 Cup of Plain Flour 
1/2 Cup of Semolina / Rava
2 tbsp of Ghee / Oil
1/2 tsp of Baking Powder
Salt to Taste
Water to Knead
Oil to Deep Fry

The Filling:

1/4 cup Moong Dal, Soaked for 3 Hrs & Ground Coarsely
1/4 Cup Urad Dal, Prepared same as Moong Dal
!/4tsp of Crushed Cumin Seeds (Preferred) / Powder
1 tsp of Ginger Chilli Paste
1/2 tsp of Red Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp of Crushed Coriander Seeds (Preferred) / Powder
1/4 tsp of Amchur Powder / Dry mango Powder
1.4 tsp of Fennel Powder
1 tbsp of Besan
1/2 tbsp of Oil
Salt to Taste

The Cooking:

Directions For Making the Dough:

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add ghee and mix the dough to form a fine crumble. Then add required water to make a soft non – sticky dough. Let it rest for 30 mins.

Directions for Making the Filling:

Heat a pan with oil and add the crushed cumin and hing. Sauté for a min and add the ginger chilli paste, salt, besan and spice powders. Sauté these for couple of mins and tumble in the coarsely ground dals. Cook for 7 – 8 mins and take off heat.

How to Fill and Fry:

Now make balls out of the dough and flat them out with a rolling pin. Thicker than how you would roll out a puri. Add a tbsp of the lentil filling and close it by bringing the ends together. Gently press the dough to flatten it out (Slightly thick).

Heat oil to deep fry. Once hot enough carefully drop in two kachoris at a time. Don't move around as soon as you drop them, it will come to the top on its own. And when it does splash hot oil over the kachoris to help them puff up. Fry on medium low to low heat until the kachoris turn golden brown. Once golden brown fish them our and let it sit on paper towels to get rid of those excess oil.

Serve hot with Coriander Mint Chutney!
Recipe Adapted from Sailu’s Kitchen!

Happy Cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

Search this blog