Monday 16 June 2014

Anchovy / Nethili Pakoda

This is my most favourite fish dish. My mom makes this a lot of times and before I actually tried the anchovies I used to eat only the crisp onions and curry leaves. And for me my mom puts in a lot of slices onions. After lot of encouragement from my brother I tasted the fish and I must say, It was awesome. The fish had very fine bones but easily removable (but my dad eats with the bones since they are not sharp and won't get stuck in your throat) and it was flaky and very flavourful. Since then anchovies became my most favourite fish.


ANCHOVIES / NETHILI (tamil)  are rich in Omega 3 Fatty acids, vitamins, iron and they have all essential minerals to strengthen bones. And contain Zero mercury hence making it absolutely safe to consume during pregnancy and Breast Feeding. 

You Will Need:

Serves 2

1/2 Kg Fresh Anchovies / Nethili Fish, Not Canned
Oil to Deep Fry

Marinade:

Juice of 1/2 a Lime
4 tbsp of Corn Flour
2 tbsp of Rice Flour
1 1/2 tsp of Red Chilli Powder
1 1/2 tsp of Ginger Garlic Paste
1 Large Onion, Sliced
Some Curry Leaves
1 Small egg
Salt to taste

The Cooking:

Clean the anchovies but cutting off the head and removing the internal organs. You can get this done at the butcher at the fish market.  Wash throughly and place it in a colander to remove excess water from the fish.

Place the fish in a large bow and add all the marinade. Mix throughly and let it marinate for 1 hr. 

Heat oil in a kadai to deep fry. Once the oil is hot add the fish in small batches and deep fry on medium heat till the fish is cooked and it appears crisp and golden brown. 

Remove and place it on a paper towel to remove excess water.

Serve hot with lemon wedges. 

Happy Cooking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

Search this blog